View Single Post
Old
06-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It's because a lot of people are irrational and don't think clearly.
Even though I think chemistry is a valid concern, lets just say it isn't a factor.

You don't think some people are correctly worried about giving Shane Doan the 3 year, 15 million deal you proposed?

I don't think having 38 year old Shane Doan on the hook for $5 million three seasons from now is good asset or cap management.

You want some examples. Look at Mike Knuble, Ryan Smyth, Andrew Brunette, Jason Arnott. All these guys took huge tumbles from where they were only a couple of years ago.

I mentioned this in the Quick thread, I have no problem overpaying Jonathan Quick in his 30's because be built of equity for what he did as a member of the KINGS in his 20's. If we sign Shane Doan to a 3 year, 15 million deal, we will be paying him for what he accomplished as a COYOTE and not what type of player he will be as a 36, 37 and 38 year old for the Kings.

Other things to consider...

1. No idea what the cap will look like post CBA Apocalypse.

2. With what we have seen so far from the contracts handed out to guys like Wideman, Stoll and Jones, we will probably see Doan get closer to 5.5 or even 6.