Thread: Confirmed with Link: JVR traded to Toronto for Luke Schenn
View Single Post
Old
06-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
That's the problem. You people whine about lack of homegrown talent but when someone is retiring and going to leave we need to go out and trade for somebody. Or sign Suter. You people almost think just like Holmgren. How about its time for Coburn and the other young guys to step up and take Kimmo's place? Why do we need to go out and sign Suter or Parise? These guys can't be babied for ever. They need to take that next step.

It is easy. As you claim all we have to do is not trade our picks and let all of our draft picks develop. You see how stupid that thinking is? Sure you need prospects but if you need to address a need now you have to give up some of those assets. If you want those support players to help our young talent you are going to have to give up assets in a trade.

How many organizations have had the same consistency of Detroit? I hate when people use them as an example because they nearly outclass every NHL team. Damnit i want a cup in Philly too. But this organization when it comes to putting a competitive product on the ice they have been consistent in doing it for MANY years.

Who is you people? If you don't have any talent in the system then you have to go out and find replacements. I don't think Holmgren *has* to sign Weber, but I think he is more likely to chase him than not. People keep pointing out the expiring contracts like Timonen's, but what makes you think he isn't going to spend that money on a replacement? It's what he does. He spends up to the cap every season. When he knew he was a year from needing to sign Richards, Carter, and Umberger to new deals in a year he brings in Briere. That's just how he operates. He doesn't plan for any other year but the year in front of him.

No one said the Flyers have to keep all of their picks and can't acquire talent through other avenues. It's when you keep such a small percentage (6 out of 18 picks in the top 2 rounds - 33%) that it becomes problematic. In a salary capped league you need that cheap talent.

Detroit are the most successful organization in the league. It would make sense to see what they do that works to see if you can find a fraction of the success.

Last edited by Haute Couturier: 06-28-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: forgot to quote the post
Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote