Thread: Speculation: Ryan Suter - UFA Part 2
View Single Post
Old
06-28-2012, 11:29 PM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

vCash: 500
St. Louis has been heavily underrated for the Suter sweepstakes; they're a top destination for Suter, and only haven't gotten coverage because Doug "GM of the Year" Armstrong keeps his cards close and doesn't reveal anything he's working on.

Let me break it down for y'all:
  • The rumors say his top spots are Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville. Those are all pretty good, well-respected teams, but every single one of them finished behind the St. Louis Blues in the standings. If he was going to sign with a divisional rival, then why not pick the young up-and-coming rival that took the Central? Those teams might stay the course, but the Blues just added Vladimir Tarasenko & Jaden Schwartz to an already-jacked roster.
  • Suter and the Blues would be a match made in heaven. He would be the All-Star defenseman the Blues want to partner with 22 year-old Alex Pietrangelo, who finished ahead of Shea Weber in scoring last season and will only continue to get better.
  • Money won't be as much of a factor for the Blues as it used to be. New ownership has deeper pockets than it lets on, and Stillman has enough hockey sense to know when to pull the trigger on a good deal. Armstrong might even be able to talk him into a bargain.
  • Supposedly Suter wants to sign somewhere in the Midwest; St. Louis is as Midwest as it gets. David Backes sweet-talked fellow Minnesotan Jamie Langenbrunner into signing with St. Louis and could probably do the same with Suter. He wouldn't regret it either, since I haven't heard a single athlete say anything bad about the time they spent in the Gateway City.

When you break it down to the fundamentals, St. Louis seems perfect for Suter. I just don't see why he wouldn't end up signing there.