Thread: Rumor: Erik Johnson News
View Single Post
Old
06-28-2012, 11:56 PM
shadow1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
I've seen nothing from Erik Johnson that says he should have been drafted first overall. What I have seen from him, is the kind of play that gets a former #1 overall pick traded early in his career for another defender who is arguably already better. He doesn't play physical for his size, he's not a good puck possession guy, he's not even Jack Johnson. I wouldn't trade Luke Schenn for him either.

All that said, kid's still young and not everyone is Erik Karlsson. He still has time to grow into the game, but I don't see him commanding anything monstrous in trade were he to get moved again, and I don't see him making elite $ on his next contract.
He stepped things up in the physical department last season, and I completely disagree about his puck possession skills. He's very good carrying it out of his own zone, and his skating ability for a player his size is unparallelled across the league.

I actually have the stats to back up the physicality part:

Oct-Nov-Dec (35 games):
1 goal, 13 assists, -11, 78 SOG, 13 PIM, 47 BS, 47 hits
Jan-Feb-Mar-Apr (38 games): 3 goals, 9 assists, +4, 77 SOG, 13 PIM, 47 BS, 76 hits

Even though almost everything else was identical, he stepped it up a bit physically, producing beneficial results in his own zone.

I don't know how good EJ will end up being, but I can confidently say he's better right now than Eric Brewer ever was, which alone makes him worth hanging onto long term.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote