View Single Post
Old
06-29-2012, 06:06 AM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
seems reasonable to me. i wouldn't induct fleury over, say, gilmour, mark howe, belfour, bure, sakic obviously, shanahan, sundin, or oates, and he'd be behind lindros, makarov, chelios obviously, niedermayer, shanahan, modano, recchi, lidstrom obviously, and maybe a few others in the next bunch of years. but definitely there's no question in my mind you go with fleury before you even bring up the names naslund, roenick, tkachuk, leclair, turgeon, etc.

i'd like to see a lull year somewhere five to ten years down the road where we are debating fleury with elias and other borderline guys.
I totally agree. Theo was a warrior. He never went super deep except as a rookie in the playoffs, but in the playoffs he played like Doug Gilmour. He was far more then just a pint sized guy everyone liked. He was freaking good. He was a top-echlon pest that wore you down (then at the end he lost his marbles and hurt his teams like Avery but worse in Chicago and NY). But at his best he scored over a ppg and also was among the best pesty, annoying, throw you off your game players.

Compared to Naslund - much better, much longer peak. Roenick - Same thing. Tkachuk - Huge guy, physical but I bet Theo scared opposing teams more for a decade then Tkachuk ever did. Leclair - Great peak of about 5 seasons, but aside injuries and not HHOF caliber play. Turgeon - better point producer, long peak. But I doubt a GM or Coach in hockey would take him over a prime Theo in a 7 game playoff series. Also he was a FACE of a franchise. He bounced around in his 30's but you think Flames. The others, it is hard to pick a team to associate them with. Well except Naslund and Leclair, but their peaks were too short.

Fleury is borderline, but I think he should and will get in eventually. To me he is better then recent borderline candidates that waited like Anderson and Dino.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote