View Single Post
Old
06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Yup, I'm a Rangers fan and I know first hand what rebuilding is while competing for the playoffs. You surround your team with young players, what Calgary is doing is signing marginal talent for more than they are worth.
Both strategies (giving Feaster a little too much credit here) can leave you in a marginal rut of mediocrity. 'Blowing it up' can result in a decade wandering of the desert like a CBJ or FLA, without a little luck at the top end of the draft like PIT or CHI. Same goes for the re-tooling of the NYR vs CGY. If we hit on a few more prospects and pulled off a McDonagh heist instead of acquiring Matt Stajan life could have been different right now. Now we're the perennial 9th place team and life sucks.

But the fact is nothing is guaranteed and attempting to stay afloat and keep butts in the seats isn't as crazy as Hockey's Future makes it out to be. I'd rather be a fringe team looking to hit it big with a few prospects than a crappy team looking to do the same thing for the next 10 years. Plus I think this crappy organization is run from the owners box, where a few more wins=a few more $$$. And why blow it up when your management would just screw it up anyways?