View Single Post
Old
06-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
We are absolutely on the same page, but when you are paid the kind of money he was and you put up consecutive years of 28 and 21 goals you simply cannot expect to receive the kind of AAV and term that has been mentioned.

In the Free Agent boards, 5 year deals totaling 35 million are being mentioned... that is simply an insane commitment to a guy whose own personal commitment to the game has been questioned by former teammates and coaches. The guy was a healthy scratch multiple time this year.

We're talking about making Semin the highest paid player on the team. As I said, Semin can get high AAV (6.5M+) or higher term (>2 years), but I am completely against giving him both.
On his production, didn't he play like 62 games the year he scored 28? (EDIT: 65 games)? Again, last season, everyone was awful here.

But I agree with your point on his cap hit and term. I just don't get the reflexive anti-Semin attitude of some of the posters on here. He's a talented guy who has consistently produced well--often in less than ideal circumstances. He's never going to win a Selke, but he isn't half as bad as some here seem to think defensively--

Again, my preference is for Parise, but if we have the choice between throwing $5 million over 3-4 years on a 35+ contract for Doan, or $6.5 million for 3-4 years for Semin, the latter seems the wise course to me.