View Single Post
Old
06-29-2012, 01:53 PM
lumbergh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Clifford, Lewis, Nolan, Voynov, and Martinez will all be restricted free agents after this upcoming season. I can't see those 5 having a combined cap hit of more than $7-9 million, and $9 million is on the high side. That puts them up to 17, plus at least of couple of the the group of players like Andreoff, Vey, Toffoli, Kozun, Muzzin, Deslauriers, etc. on their ELCs will be ready to step in by that point.

Dean seems to have planned this out pretty well. Obviously the impending CBA negotiations can change things, but I have a hard time seeing the result being a lowered cap with players' salaries/cap hits staying the same.
That's all well and good, but the Kings still have to find 6 more guys to fill out the 23 man roster for ~10-11 million. If you make a long term commitment to a guy like Parise, the Kings will end up handcuffed for years to come.

Brownie's contract come up in 2014, as does our shutdown D Mitchell and Greene. I'm sure Lombardi has the big picture in mind.

My point is that you can't go around throwing multi-year contracts at people every year. The Kings are in good position to find good veterans who want to play for a winner for a year or two. That's the ideal situation.