View Single Post
Old
06-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Thorton02

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well, that's because you shouldn't look solely at stats.
If you're going to though, you have to acknowledge that Zagrapan was the fourth highest scoring player on his team in a higher scoring era than today.
He was also the third highest scoring first time eligible Q player that year.
Grigorenko was second on his team, only to OA and linemate Frédérick Roy, and was the highest scoring first time eligible and it wasn't close.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Zagrapan played his rookie season as an 18 year old for much of the time, as he is a late birth (12-06-86).
Grigorenko was 17 during all of his rookie season (5-16-94) and was more dominant in individual aspects of the game such as goal scoring.

One can also assume that Zagrapan was playing second line minutes with the quality of older players the Sags had and that he also had better linemates, while Grigorenko played first line minutes with an OA that was never PPG before and considered a defensive forward and a 16 year old rookie.

However, if Grigorenko wasn't injured down the stretch, he would have had over 100 points and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
He's a better prospect, hands down.
I didn't see Zags at the Q level, but Grigorenko has been a force at every single level I've seen him play at (U17, U18, U19, U20, MHL, QMJHL) and has been highly touted for years (most Russians hold him in higher regard than Yakupov).
As Woodhouse said, he has some of, if not the best tools in his draft class.

I saw Zagrapan play in the AHL and KHL, and he was awful and didn't show flashes of anything special.
The only thing unique about him is his unibrow.
This is what I was looking for. Usually it's not until after their draft year that we've seen a potential good draft pick from Darcy. I love Grig`s potential, hopefully he'll live up to it. It'll be fun to watch him try.

Thorton02 is offline   Reply With Quote