View Single Post
Old
06-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
I know if won't happen, but I think it's about time to start chucking offer sheets out--not at Weber, that's been debated to no end, but at the host of other young, high-end blue-liners:

Three names stand out in particular:
- Johnson (COL)
- Kulikov (FLA)
- Carlson (WAS)

Colorado has money to burn, so that's a reach.

Washington has about $20 million in cap space--with three major free agents (Semin, Green, and Carlson). They also only have 9 forwards under contract. If they overpay for Semin and Green, things could get a little tricky, but this is also a stretch, since they are a cap team.

Which brings me to Florida. They have a ton of cap space, but no one really knows where their budget is. They have a number of key contributors RFA or UFA--including Versteeg, Garrison, Kulikov, and others.

Would they match an OS with an annual value of $4-4.5? It is a bit of an overpayment now, but Kulikov looks like a stud, well worth the 1st / 3rd compensation.

It is probably only feasible if they resign Garrison--which, I admit, is unlikely. Still, pretending for a minute that they do--say, at a discount of $5 AAV--Florida would have something like $21 million tied up in their six roster defensemen (assuming they bring back Ellerby).

Campbell (7.1) - Garrison (5.0)
Jovanovski (4.1) - Gudbranson (3.1--ELC)
Weaver (1.1) - Ellerby (900k)

If we assuem they are a cap-floor team ($54 million), it starts to get a little tight.

Is this completely absurd?