Thread: Prospect Info: Habs Board 2012 Prospect Rankings #8
View Single Post
Old
06-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Gustave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Kristo opted NOT to go the Justin Schultz route. Mac Bennett and Mark MacMillan will be in the same boat (next summer for Bennett, the following summer for MacMillan), they can opt out of signing with the Habs and become FA's but they need to do so by June 1st, 2013 (for Bennett), June 1st, 2014 (for MacMillan).

What Justin Schultz did, any draft pick that is selected outside of the NCAA and plays the following season outside of the NCAA, after their Junior year in the NCAA they can opt out to become FA's but must do so before June 1st.

As an example, Didier will not be able to use this loop hole since he went directly to the NCAA after being drafted. Kristo could have done this, had to wanted to leave the NCAA now but didn't want to do so with the Habs, as he could have opted to become a FA this July 1st. Instead he said he wants to sign with the Habs after next season ends at North Dakota.
Let me clarify my stance; whether Kristo uses the loophole or just doesn't sign with us after he finishes is college career is the same to me. My feeling is that we won't see him signing a contract with the Habs. It's just my feeling of course and not an educated one at that. I hope he suits up for the bulldogs later this season if his season ends before the Bulldogs' one, but I am not getting my hopes up.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote