View Single Post
Old
06-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Alan Ryan

vCash: 500
Jared Knight article

Here is a story on Jared Knight at the Worcester Telegram: http://www.telegram.com/article/2012...45/1009/sports

Will he be in Providence this year or take the spot open in the Pouliot trade?

The third pick in the Toronto heist was a 2010 second-rounder, the Bruins using the 32nd overall selection on forward Jared Knight. The 20-year-old Michigan native likely will spend this winter in Providence, although Boston is a possibility. Those decisions are made by others. The only thing Knight can control is himself, and the plan is to show up here for training camp in September looking to make a positive impression.

“I’m just going to come in like I have the last few years, in shape and play my hardest,” he said this week during a break in the Bruins’ sixth annual Development Camp at Ristuccia Arena. “That’s really all you can do. It’ll be my third time going to a training camp, so I’ll kind of know what to expect and give it my best.”

The Bruins do have an opening up front after trading Benoit Pouliot to Tampa Bay last week. Although it’s apparently been bequeathed to Jordan Caron, the 5-foot-10, 198-pound Knight plays the kind of hockey the front office and fans in Boston are absolutely enamored with.

“Knighter is kind of a player who thrives on playing in straight lines and going to the net and playing in the dirty areas,” assistant general manager Don Sweeney said. “He just has to realize he’s been able to do some of the stuff physically at the junior level that, at the next level, these guys are going to be bigger and stronger and he’s going to have to understand how to get that space back against bigger players who can push back equally as hard as he can push. So there’s probably going to be an adjustment period for him.”

Knight will mix it up down low, but he’s more than a mucker. He’s got a hard, accurate shot and soft hands when it comes to passing. It all makes for a nice, balanced offensive game.