Thread: GDT: 2012 UFA season frenzy
View Single Post
Old
07-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Le Rosbeef

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanxstereo View Post
sharks are usually associated with frenzies, but we are like whale sharks at this time of year, hopefully DW turns into a tiger shark, or a nurse shark.
This stance confuses me.

Look at how many millions get spent each year. What did LA do last year? They added Gagne, a guy that most teams barely wanted to touch, and that was IT. How Did Jagr, Richards, Ville Leino (*splutter*), Ehrhoff, Wisniewski all work out for their teams chasing a cup?

The year before, the Bruins added Nathan McIver, Jeremy Reichand re-signed a few 3/4th line players. How did the millions thrown at Michalek, Martin, Jokinen, Gonchar, Tanguay, Volchenkov, Kubina, Corvo and co work out?

What about the year before with Bouwmeester, Gaborik, Cammalleri, Halvat and co work out? I'll grant you that Hossa and Kopecky went in as FAs to Chicago and won the cup but that season they also re-signed Brouwer, Versteeg, Bolland. Hossa was as much replacing Havlat as it was anything else.

The point I'm trying to make is that rarely do the millions and millions put a team over the top. Sure, would Parise and Suter help? Absolutely. But these are not guarantees and you can guarantee someone will overpay for them - look at those contracts listed above. There aren't too many of them I'd want on the Sharks right now all things considered and I'll be stunned if Parise and Suter come in less than 7m per year in any case. We can't afford those.

Address some needs, roll the dice. But going crazy on July 1st is overrated. It's more - in my humble opinion - about hockey starved fans getting excited about a year ahead. Let's keep level.

Wilson does a good job, all things considered, with trades. And that's not a bad thing. Hockey in the 21st century is as much about asset management as it is the game on the ice and July 1st is less likely to win you a cup than it is to ensure you won't for the forseeable future. That said, if Detroit sign BOTH of Suter and Parise as I expect them to, that's the sort of home run that could make my argument largely redundant...

EDIT: Just seen Wideman has signed for 5 years, $26m ($5.2m per) in Calgary.... this is exactly what I'm talking about. Ville Leino part 2...

Last edited by Le Rosbeef: 07-01-2012 at 07:46 AM.