View Single Post
Old
07-01-2012, 10:19 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
I expect both to sign huge deals which have their cap hit deflated by front loading contracts. Watch for Ehrhoff-like money on both up front., I reckon. That's the biggest issue - Wilson has never shown a willingness to engage in these sorts of deals and I'm inclined to agree with the policy - it's a short term placation with a long term consequence. Look how many of those contracts look silly already?

As for offering NMCs, I'm also skeptical about them at this stage - teams who overburden themselves with a lot of these are really limiting their options further down the line. CapGeek suggests we already have 5 (JT, Patty, Handszus, Boyle and Burns) - adding 2 more (and presumably on long term deals) seems dangerous to me, but perhaps I'm just risk averse...
Despite trading for Heatley and Havlat (and signing Burns to his deal), I think DW has gone on record saying that he likes to sign 3 to 4 year deals.

DW/Sharks probably won't offer a front-loaded 10 year contract. Maybe they would reconsider if Parise/Suter's agent said either would definitely sign here for such a deal...oh wait, they see San Jose as being no man's land way out west with horrendous travel, so they would never even make such a request (IMHO).