Old
07-01-2012, 09:45 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Actually, your understanding is wrong.

Any NHL player that is being assigned to the minors has to clear waivers unless they are exempt.
For younger players, there's the games played/years since first NHL contract exemption and for older players there's the 10 games/30 days since last being waived and conditioning loan exemptions.
There is no mythical period of time before the waiver period begins when you can sneak waiver eligible players into the minors.

Brennan was exempt for three seasons or 160 NHL games.
He's played three seasons, so he is no longer waiver exempt and therefore must clear regular waivers to be assigned to the AHL.

As for the OP, I don't really care if they lose him on waivers.
He's intriguing but just hasn't been able to put it all together.
Teams have guys that are similar to him and may not even want to claim him if he's waived at the beginning of the season, as they'll likely have their rosters set.
If someone does claim him and he manages to stick, great for him.
If someone claims him and he doesn't stick, he gets waived again and Buffalo can claim him if they wish, and, if no one else put in a claim, assign him to Rochester without sending with through waivers again.
Yes, there is. Read the CBA. Specifically, look at the dates when training camp starts, and when the waiver period begins.

EDIT: I might have mixed up the waiver period and cap compliance period in my own mind. I'll look later, and will be happy to admit if I was wrong.

Either way, who cares. It's TJ Brennan.

Last edited by SackTastic: 07-01-2012 at 09:51 AM.
SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote