View Single Post
Old
04-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Actually, if there was one replacement out there who I would consider bringing onboard, and I know I'm going to get eaten alive for this, but I'd have to go with Pat Quinn. Now, before everyone jumps all over this, take a look at Quinn and the work he's done. Face it, the man is a good coach. He's not a great GM, but he's a good coach and he really knows how to get the best out of players. I think of the job he could do with guys like Carter, Richards, Umberger, Potulny, Pitkanen, Meyer, etc....and I think they could really flourish under him.

His record is pretty decent as a head coach as well. I could see him really bringing a different approach than what Hitch has brought onboard. Yes, we needed the defensive discipline and we needed a stern task master. However, that approach isn't working anymore and I don't see Hitch becoming a coach that is willing to compromise at all in order to move ahead. He's one of those guys who is hell bent on having his way and only his way. I also read something that Jacques Martin might be on his way out in Florida due to butting heads with Keenan. Maybe Jacques could come here. Wait, scratch that. He's the guy that nearly ruined Spezza. He'd kill Carter. So yeah, Pat Quinn, minus the Keith Actons and the Rick Leys of his coaching staff. Have Terry Murray and Wayne Flemming as the assistants still.

Or, if I were to take someone from junior, Stan Butler or Peter DeBoer might be good coaches to look at.
Quinn is an awful coach man... his success was built off of a roster of high-priced veteran talent with almost no youth presence on the team. This meant that for the most part he didn't have to coach the small things that make a team better, because they had already been coached... furthermore, his approach to the game has very little tactical saavy, which is why Hitch always beat him in the end. Don't mention the Sens as a couter-example, you, living there, know just as well as me that their problem was about 90% mental getting past the Leafs.

Jacques ruined Spezza, or with tough-love turned him into one of the better players in the league...?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote