Thread: Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Sheldon Souray. 3 years 3.67 mil
View Single Post
Old
07-01-2012, 09:27 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
If he's healthy and plays like he can, he actually fills a good need. I've actually seen him quite a bit a few years back (I watched Edmonton a lot to keep tabs on Penner). Warrior. Blocks shots. Clears the crease. Hits. Isn't as bad defensively as a lot of people think. Good on both special teams (despite the rep, I think he's actually better on PK than PP). He's essentially what Murray thought he would get out of Sutton. Seems to have a good rep in Mon and NJ in the locker room.

Slow. Gets beat frequently wide. Made of glass. He's gotten injured in all sorts of freak ways. Has a bad rep from Edmonton in the locker room.

I haven't hated a signing this much since Bertlousi. Yes I dislike it even more than Cogliano. My thing is this. You don't want to pay Pronger multi-years on a 35+ contract. Yet you come back and do it to an even more broken down Souray? I hate everything about it. Too much, too long, and it's 35+. He should be making less than Allen.

In fairness, though, I think the beaten wide thing is a little overstated. Yes he was bad in Edmonton. But they had incompetent coaching. Put him in a good system and with a good partner, and seeing as it's the West... it shouldn't be that bad. See his stint in Dallas.

As an aside I think Garrison is Souray of a few years ago. Without the injuries. This was a fluke offensive year.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote