Thread: Confirmed with Link: Brandon Prust to Montreal [4 years, $10M]
View Single Post
Old
07-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
But we're not going to persuade each other. Both too committed to our current positions to concede. If you think Prust is worth a million more per year than his play as hockey player or position in the depth chart warrants because he's tough that's your prerogative. But I think you want to invest in tiger repelling rocks.
better "waisting" 1M$ of a 70M$ cap on a guy who is among the best in the league in his role (bottom-6 gritty player who can actually play meaningful minutes and defend his teammates at all costs), then "waisting" 2-3-4M$ as we have in recent years on "skilled" players who perform as poorly as Gomez/Kaberle/Bourque.

2.5M$ is steep, but if he plays the way he has the past 2 years in N.Y (or even continues to improve, b/c this guy has steadily improved over the past 4-5 seasons... he's lightyears ahead of the player he was in Calgary a few seasons ago), then he will be giving our team an element we sorely needed and at a cap hit that won't be very difficult to account for.

Gomez or Kaberle under performing on massive cap hits hurts far more than a 2-3M$ player under performing (and this assumes he will underperform) b/c it seriously impacts the ability to spend elsewhere.

i'm a believer that every dollar counts, and a bad contract is a bad contract, but I think Prust has at least a decent shot at giving us solid value at his cap hit, and the downside if he doesn't isn't big enough to warrant excessive "negative nancy" comments on signing day.

guess we'll see...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote