Thread: Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Michael Leighton (1-year @ $900k)
View Single Post
Old
07-02-2012, 06:56 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
You don't know how many starts/wins he's going to get.
Nor do you. Yet my prediction (based on his career numbers) is not valid and yours (based on something other than his career numbers) is. I guess that makes sense...

Quote:
Our team defence is way worse now than it was in 2010 and 2011 so he's not going to get the benefit of people cleaning up his atrocious rebounds.
That's fine. And he won't put up the numbers he did in 2008 (EDIT: 2010...mind was on Phillies this morning). Nor do I expect him to. I expect him to put up numbers like he did when he was a backup in Carolina and Chicago, and he put up a save percentage around .900 and a GAA around 3.

Quote:
If Bryz gets injured, sick or melts down, are you really confident that Leighton is going to do the job? I would have taken Roloson, Ellis or Niitty ahead of him. That's just to start.
Good point, when Bryz got hurt/struggled this year the team was able to succeed because of the stellar play of Bob. Oh wait, he sucked this year and they still got the fifth seed with that crappy defense. I'm confident he will do it as well as any other backup we signed for the same amount of money. Roloson or Ellis I imagine will command more money than Leighton. Niitty probably will too, and frankly I wouldn't be too confident in him with his injuries.

The bottom line is if you have a problem with signing because you simply don't like Leighton, then fine. But the guys numbers throughout his career speak for themselves...he's a backup goalie. Look around the league at other teams and you'll notice that most have numbers similar to him. If you want an all-star as a backup you're dreaming (or you'll have to pay him like one). If you want someone who going to put up backup goalie numbers (which is all you need for a BACKUP), Leighton will get that job done. Simple as that.

Last edited by DrinkFightFlyers: 07-02-2012 at 07:30 AM.
DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote