Thread: Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Kris Newbury (2 years)
View Single Post
Old
07-02-2012, 07:23 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
Newbury is a vastly more productive offensive player than Haley. That said, I think Newbury was signed for depth and to be a veteran leader on the Whale.

It isn't exactly that Haley has more to offer, but he's a bit younger & a much better fighter. Both Newbury & Haley are as scrappy as they come. But while Newbury will lose most of his fights, Haley for his diminuative size is one of the best fighters in hockey. Think PJ Stock.

With Asham & Rupp on the roster, I doubt there's room for Haley on the big club. But he's there if either of them falter.
We're not just talking about AHL production though. Newbury's AHL numbers have never translated to the NHL. It may just be because of the kind of roles he's been put in when called up but at 30 years old now--that's not going to change.

Haley apparently has a two way contract the first year and a one way the second. That tells you the Rangers think he has at least a decent chance to become a big leaguer. As fighters--Newbury fights several times a year. Haley is more like Prust--he racks them up. Haley is also much better at it. He's quick and he can swing with either hand. He surprises a lot of his opponents with this ability to change hands which is one reason he often beats guys much bigger than him. And he can take a punch.

I think the Rangers are going to have to push Haley's game up a notch. If he can broaden his job description like Prust did--become a good defensive minded forward who blocks shots and kills penalties and chip in a few points here and there--essentially we'll have the same thing with him as we had with Prust--only a lot cheaper.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote