Thread: Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Michael Leighton (1-year @ $900k)
View Single Post
Old
07-02-2012, 09:49 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Where is this business about Leighton needing a string of starts to play well coming from? He has played in the NHL for parts of seven seasons. One of them he played in ONE game. So that leaves six where he played in more than one game. Of those six he played in 8, 34, 5, 3, 19, and 34 games. The seasons that he played 8, 34, 3, 19, and 34 he put up solid backup numbers (around .900 save percentage and GAA under 3.00). The season he played 5 games he did not put up good numbers. So again, I ask, why would he not be able to put up those numbers this year? Keeping in mind I am not saying that he is good or should be the starter, only that throughout his career he has put up the numbers of a backup goalie.

EDIT: If you are saying he needs a long string of starts to put up STARTING goalie numbers, ok then I will agree. But nothing in his career (except for the fact you don't like him) should make you think he can't do what he has done throughout his career.
I do not like him b/c he is not NHL material..he has not shown himself to be NHL material in numerous chances and not just with the Flyers. The guy had an opportunity of a lifetime that plenty of real NHL goalies never even got a chance to experience yet he blew it big time. My judgement of Michael Leighton is not in some vacuum nor is it unreasonable. Sure as a backup he can do the least damage but if something goes awry with Bryz next year I have practically no confidence he will be able to hold the fort. Hopefully I'm wrong but I have my big doubts...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote