Thread: Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Michael Leighton (1-year @ $900k)
View Single Post
Old
07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Stonehands77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Haha. I like how there are people who think this situation is totally and perfectly fine. I mean, it's not like Leighton has proven repeatedly that he isn't fit for NHL duties, right?

Oh, wait.
It's not histrionics to look at what Holmgren has done and question it. Let's review:

1. Signed a goalie who has been a mediocre NHL backup at best (I'd argue is more a career AHL goalie then NHL material)
2. Signed him for $900k when he was available to every team in the NHL last season for $775k and EVERY TEAM passed on him.
3. Signed him PRIOR to the opening of free agency, thus not allowing the market to help lower the price nor to kick the tires on other potential free agent goalies (since doing so with players under contract would be tampering, and no one does that, right?)

So what in there does not indicate some concern? Particularly when you take in to account Holmgren's past mistakes in this area, doing the exact same thing with the exact same player? Why should I not be concerned about this? The last time he blew a bunch of cap space on this same guy, before July 1, when he could've gotten better goalies for less money. And now we repeat.

This is without getting in to all of the stuff CharlieGirl mentioned. I do appreciate The Cheat skipping most of her post to focus on one particular part. The "blaming teammates for sucking" and "Lying about back injury" part are confirmed and we all know that's true. Even if 2 out of 3 are true, though, that is another concern. Am I going to go take Holmgren hostage and beat him until he repents? No, I've got better things to do. But I still think he's handled this stupidly.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote