View Single Post
Old
07-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Heatleys Eye

vCash: 500
More details about the Schultz signing - Coffey's pitch

I thought this article is relevant as to what Schultz was thinking about in terms of his decision

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...on_to-schultz/

Some things that made sense to me - looking at some of Coffey's points Schultz probably made a very good choice regarding ownership, offensive systems and growing up with a core of young talent.

"I keep hearing that Canadians can't do this and Canadians can't do that," said the Hall of Famer of the perceived current level of skill of this nation's hockey players.

"And I keep hearing coaches tell kids they can't do this and can't do that," he said of over-coaching defence and stifling offence in the game.

"I told Justin that's not the way Edmonton has ever wanted to play the game. I told him that Edmonton is a great place to go because they want to play the game the way his skills fit the game best. And I told him what an important piece I thought he would be. Every successful team has got to be able to have a defenceman to move the puck. Everybody wants that guy.

"I told him how I loved, absolutely loved, playing in Edmonton and that I would have loved to stay there another 10 or 12 years. I told him if Daryl Katz had owned the team, we all would have been there forever, that I think he's tied for first with any other good owner in the league. And I told him that's pretty good to have that and that we would have won three or four more Stanley Cups when everybody hit their prime years in their late 20s and early 30s.

"I told him there are going to be a lot of lessons ahead to learn, but how you can learn them in not a bad way when you have players of a similar age group learning their lessons with you at the same time.

Heatleys Eye is offline   Reply With Quote