Thread: Confirmed with Link: Free Agency Thread
View Single Post
Old
07-02-2012, 03:49 PM
letmesleep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I think the moves we've seen (and haven't seen) along with Armstrong's quotes indicate that the team is pretty much set on D until a future time when they swing a trade. Its looking doubtful that will happen now, more likely into the season before we see it.

Armstrong has shown incredible patience in this particular need, and since the team can win in the regular season with what they have now, I think he'll continue to wait for the right opportunity, rather than panicking and signing/trading for the wrong guy.

There will probably be a lot of gnashing of teeth among the Blues fanbase, but its not a big surprise. It would sure be nice of Stewart looks more productive in the first part of the season, since a forward will likely be a necessary piece in trade.
If Stewart comes alive, this team starts to look a lot more like a cup favorite. I doubt that he is traded if his production goes back up. If we're looking good mid-season, I'd expect to see futures traded, not a forward.

Near the trade deadline, good players nearing UFA are dirt cheap. This team already looks like a playoff team (knock on wood) next season but we could stand to add a few more pieces to be cup favorites. If you add near the deadline, you give up less and you're only on the hook for a portion of their yearly salary. Though it's a risky move to be patient like that, I could see how it would be attractive to a budget team such as ourselves.

letmesleep is offline   Reply With Quote