Thread: Confirmed with Link: Free Agency Thread
View Single Post
Old
07-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Corn Baller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Also wanna make clear that there are two different kinds of seasons. Regular season and playoffs. The hypothetical D lineup I posted is a winning regular season team. I don't know that it's a team that can win more than a playoff round or so without a D upgrade, and I think Armstrong knows it. But just getting Carle or just getting Bouwmeester doesn't make it a playoff upgrade either, it really does have to be the right guy. And it should. It's exactly the same as saying they need a first line forward. Top three forwards and top two defensemen are elite positions in the NHL. If you want to win a Cup you need some very strong players in those roles. The Blues have some very good forwards and only one player who is truly elite in one of those five spots Pietrangelo. They have good goaltending. The tandem should continue to push each other next year as nobody's the true #1 until someone definitively earns it. But they need a second legitimately strong defenseman and just because Carle is available doesn't mean it's him. Or just because Bouwmeester is a super-expensive, flexibility-strangling option the Flames likely want to dump doesn't mean it's him either.
If he was available, do you consider Yandle a "Right Guy"? I'm not sure I do, even though I think he's a heck of a player. His skill set seems duplicative of Pietrangelo's, not necessarily complementary.

Corn Baller is offline   Reply With Quote