Thread: Confirmed with Link: Free Agency Thread
View Single Post
Old
07-02-2012, 08:10 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 500
What I expect to see happen is one more forward signing like Langenbrunner. It'll probably still be Langenbrunner, since Hitchcock seems to already want him to play a specific role on the PP. If it's not him they'll sign one more guy. JR quoted Armstrong yesterday (in a piece or on twitter, can't remember) that they have 13 one-way contracts up front and then added Schwartz and Grachev, which is funny because technically Tarasenko is a two-way contract but clearly they're penciling him into one of the 14 spots. They'll want to do the same thing with depth that they're doing on D. They can also add a player on waivers during camp if they feel Schwartz isn't ready, but I think they'll probably sign one more forward and pretty much be done with free agency.

On D they have 13 guys under contract between the two squads:
1. Pietrangelo
2. Shattenkirk
3. Polak
4. Jackman
5. Russell
6. Cole
7. Woywitka
8. Chorney
9. Fairchild
10. Ford
11. Ponich
12. Cundari
13. Shields

So they'll either add an NHL D via trade prior to the season and push everyone down one rung or they'll add a Ford-esque AHLer to round out Peoria's roster and start the season with Cole having a fulltime shift.

When you look at Phoenix, by the way, they have tons of D even after losing Aucoin and Rozsival.

1. OEL
2. Yandle
3. Michalek
4. Klesla
5. Morris
6. Stone
7. Schlemko
(8. Summers)
9. Gormley
10. Goncharov
11. Rundblad
12. Mathieu Brodeur
13. Justin Weller
14. Mark Louis

Plus next year Connor Murphy leaves the OHL (their 2011 first rounder). I don't see room for Ian Cole going back in a hypothetical Yandle trade. They have Summers and Stone. They would want to let Goncharov or Gormley have minutes before they'd want to allocate any to Cole.

I could also maybe see Schwartz for Gormley straight up. Both are high end prospects, it's a fair even up trade, they were even taken consecutively in the draft. Schwartz is pegged as the McDonald replacement but they can more easily trade for a winger or replace him from within. Not saying this would or should happen, but it would be an utterly defensible idea if Armstrong went there.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote