View Single Post
Old
11-30-2003, 02:43 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
Finally, the voice of reason. Rivet is not the bum people are proclaiming him to be. He has played pretty good hockey lately, but is being booed for no other reason than some Hab fans need a scapegoat. The gutless ******** Gainey spoke of have not retreated, but merely changed their focus. Craig Rivet played a decent game last night, but is remembered today (by some) only for a questionable penalty at a crucial time. The Panther's player took a dive; the RDS commentators agreed. Hab fans were always noted for being among the most knowledgeable in the game, but sometimes I wonder.

I remember in the early '70's we had a d-man named Terry Harper. A good solid defenseman who became the boo-birds favorite target. One night in Montreal he picked the puck up around the faceoff circle in his own end. He was booed mercilessly as soon as he touched the puck. As he skated out across his blueline, the boos continued. As he reached center ice, some of the boos died actually died down. As he reached the opposing blueline, some of the boos actually turned to cheers. When he got deep in opposition territory, many people were cheering. When he fired a shot and scored, the entire crowd was on its feet cheering wildly.

Hab fans. Knowledgeable? Maybe. Fickle? Definately!

Rivet is no bum. You guys are nuts.
I consider myself to be knowledgeable, but I am not happy with the way Rivet has played. The effort is there, but he's making major league rookie mistakes. I've seen him pick it up lately, and I do think the call against him was crap, also he made a great play early on when he tied up a Panthers player who had a wide open net. I just watched the game again, as I was really drunk last night when I watched the game the first time at 3 am.

But I have seen way too many piss poor decisions made by Rivet, to be followed up by a cross check to the players back. He makes a big mistake, then gets pissed and uses his stick too much (hit with the body Craig!!!) I've seen him get undressed, or misread plays along the boards, which is something I am surprised to see somewhat. I have never been a big Rivet fan, but I do think he's better then what he's been doing out there. Hopefully it was just a slump, all players go through it, and he has played somewhat better recently, but overall I think he's been our worst defensemen this year.