View Single Post
Old
11-30-2003, 03:44 PM
gohabsgo2010

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
I hope Gainey doesn't even touch Primeau. Him as our first line centre over Koivu? Give me a break. What's the obsession with size down the middle. Look at the last two Cup Winners, Detroit and New Jersey. Zetterberg is Detroit's biggest centre at 6'0", yes, 6'0". For the Devils, Madden, Brylin, Gomez and Rafalski are all under six feet, Rafalski being just 5'9".

Primeau is big (6'5"), but doesn't always play that way. He can be nonexistant in the playoffs, is streaky, and has only averages 47 POINTS over the past two seasons. He is not a strong offensive player. He's 32 right now, so bringing him in over a Ribeiro or a Higgins doesn't do us any good. Add to the fact that he only has 8 points thus far...

It's all about playing as a team, respecting your teammates abilities, having confidence in the guys you're playing with, incorporating a good mesh of youth and experience, and being willing to lay your body on the line every night. Look at Bouillon. I'm as big a Hainsey fan as there is on the board (except for Ron Hainsey himself :p), but Ron isn't yet willing to do those things neccasery to win, unlike Cube. Now, I would still be playing Hainsey simply because of his upside, but if Gainey has the chance to acquire a 5'10 workhorse, with speed and grit instead of a 6'4" floater with stone hands and the speed of an ogre, than it's a pretty obvious choice in regards to which player would be better for your team.

When I look at this year's Free Agent list, the guys that stand out for me are as follows :

Rolston - He's 30, which is maybe a little too old for my liking, but he has lightning speed, a canonating shot, exceptional penalty killing skills (god knows we can use those), and is a 60 point player.

Draper - At 32, he's too old, but he fits the mold of the player I'd like everyone else to be. Tenacious on the forecheck, energizing his linemates, wreaking havoc for his opposition, and contributing on the scoresheet.

Laperriere - The hometown boy is almost a lock to be in bleu, blanc, and rouge next season in my opinion. He is what Begin is and more. He sticks up for his LA teammates, so imagine how he would defend his hometown mates. He is an excellent penalty killer, and along with Higgins, Sundstrom, and Bulis, our PK would vastly improve.

Recchi - He's not a young man anymore, but he signifies a Hab in the same way Koivu does. Brings it all every game, can still put up the points, great in the playoffs, and is not stopping with age.

S Thornton - He's a Gainey guy. It was Bob who stole him from us way back when for Lind, who thinks he wouldn't do it again. He may be a little too old for our team, at 32. However, he USES his size like no one else on the team, and can score. Excellent in both zones, really.