View Single Post
Old
07-03-2012, 12:17 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I think that's a little unrealistic for Penner. He's never been a 50-60 point scorer in his career. Only once has a cracked 60, and usually he's right around 40. A 20-20 season is probably much more realistic.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=77717
Sorry Chazz, don't agree. After watching him in Edmonton for several years the dude has flat out great talent. He posted 40+ points while floating through half the season. On a legit line with two great talents (like Crater and Richards) for a full year, he should be more than capable of 60 points.

As for the contract, we overpaid, but it's a one year deal so I'm ok with it. I was hedging towards $2.9 million or so (which also would have been an overpayment). He did have a solid playoffs, but Penner's job is also to score goals and points. Three goals in 20 playoff games (albeit one very clutch goal against Phoenix) isn't overly impressive. 84 games, 9 goals 23 points in the regular season as a King, and 26 games, 4 goals and 13 points in the playoffs. I know numbers aren't everything, but those aren't exactly great numbers period. For a guy who should reach 20 goals in a season as a bare minimum with the talent he has, 13 goals in 110 games as a King is a disaster.

I was impressed with his work ethic in the playoffs, and I expect that to carry over into the regular season. If so, 25 goals and 50 points is a fairly realistic expectation.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote