View Single Post
Old
07-03-2012, 12:00 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
People have wanted Tootoo gone for a while now. Maybe it would be different had Tootoo gone to another team, but what happened, happened. Tootoo sent a message by going to the Red Wings for pretty much the exact same offer he turned down in Nashville (slightly less money, actually). If he wanted to piss people off, he did a good job of it. I don't see a problem with fans reacting to his actions. It's obviously what he wanted.

At the end of the day, Tootoo is not a game changer. He will throw a big hit or two, but he isn't going to go out there and be the difference in many games, if any. Everyone on the team knows his offensive game (battle on the boards, drop a blind pass towards the net in an effort to center, cough it up, rinse, repeat). I'm much more concerned with someone like Suter or Parise going to Detroit. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Tootoo plays his way into the press box under Babcock.

As far as the Wings wanting someone to answer the bell for the Weber/Z incident, you mean like how Weber fought Bertuzzi in the very next game? It seemed to me like that entire thing blew over for the players pretty quickly. It's the fans who went on and on about it for weeks.

Tootoo might want a pound of flesh from someone on the Preds, but why should that worry anybody? It isn't like he is going to kill people. He might throw a dirty hit, but that is going to cost his team, too, right? If the biggest concern we have is someone trying to injure our guys then we should probably watch another sport. It's hockey. People get hurt, and tougher players than Tootoo play with a chip on their shoulder. Maybe I was the only one who noticed, but Tootoo has turned into a guy who is more of a troll and less of a tough guy. He tries to goad people into dropping the gloves, or throwing a punch to draw a penalty. He is a pest now, not really much of a fighter.

IMO Tootoo should have been gone well before now. I was happy for him when he got help for his problem, and when he came back and played his ass off he impressed me. I held out hope that maybe what he needed to turn the corner was kicking his habit. It helped, but he is still an inconsistent forward who tries to do too much. Like him or not, we don't need him.
in fairness, that offer he turned down was in the middle of one of his hot streaks. He, I would guess, thought he could get more with a 40 point year, which was what he was on pace for. He did not have said 40 point year and that contract wasn't offered again at the end of the season.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote