View Single Post
Old
07-03-2012, 04:25 PM
DOGSTARMAN

vCash: 500
If Hamilton becomes a replacement for Boychuk... who is replacing Corvo/Zanon/Mottau? I guess you could stick one of the ANHL players in that spot but it's not clear to me that any of them are really NHL ready/able or that it would be any different than when they presumed Kampfer was the fill-in once upon a time and found out differently.

Also, if these players are healthy - Bergeron, Krejci, Horton, Lucic, Seguin, Marchand - does that mean one of them is moving to the 3rd line or that Hemsky goes there? Not looking to take up the debate about whether Hemsky is or is not better than any of the current top 6 but wondering what the expectation is.

I think Boychuk is pretty good and has big games in him but I won't go so far as to say he's irreplaceable. Pretty good player, pretty good contract. But the defense does currently seem too thin to absorb losing him for a forward with question marks. Not that it's not a fairly even trade, but I wonder if the net result is really a step forward if it's that deal straight up or if Thomas is not fetching a decent defenseman (doubtful).

Of course if this trade was built up into more, with one of Edmonton's defensemen coming back here, that could be more interesting. Not entirely sure why they need Boychuk when they already have Smid, Whitney, N Schultz, J Schultz, Sutton, Barker, Teubert, maybe Klefbom, Peckham in the fold. Not that they are all great or anything but I'm not sure they * need * Boychuk, though I can see why they'd want to unload Hemsky with their 147 young stars up front.

If we were getting Hemsky + say Smid (who I like, not a bad #4 type to have) for Boychuk + something (would not be junk though), that's different. Maybe that's where Thomas fits in? We could do worse than having Chara + Hamilton as the first pair and "the Germans" (Seidenberg + Smid) as the 2nd pair.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote