Thread: Confirmed with Link: Flyers bring back Danny Syvret and Testwuide
View Single Post
Old
07-04-2012, 05:27 AM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF View Post
Thanks for clarifying the cap management points, a lot of it goes over my head as I've never even looked into the finer points of the CBA.

Only thing I can't agree with you on is your last point. The Flyers have often tended to favour signing that last veteran presence kind of guy over giving young players a chance. It probably translates to a few more points over a season but it also leads to players like Bartulis (not a big loss), Seidenberg and Sharp (to a lesser extent as there were other factors) being sent away to find their playing time elsewhere. I would prefer we didn't bother with that last Lilja type signing and rolled with a rookie regularly on the bottom pair and let them find their way even if they were slightly undeserving as you put it, rather than the spot duty we saw from Gus last season for instance. If once the trade deadline rolls around you aren't comfortable with what you have you can find a third pairing D or last line forward for not too much.

It's a philosophical difference between myself and the way the team actually seems to be run, I see the possibility of Syvret being called up a continuation of that. He will never be more than what he now is, Gus, Manning, et al. might be if given chances. Of course it remains to be seen if it actually happens.

Still I acknowledge both options have merits and demerits, I just prefer one way of managing the roster and prospects over another.
I agree about the Lilja signing, and while O'Donnell was a pretty solid bottom pairing dman for us I wouldn't have minded one of the younger guys given a chance to start the season either. Those are a bit different than this signing though. Let's assume that Bourdon wins the 6th spot to start the year. When an injury occurs later on Gustafsson and Manning won't have to pass through waivers whereas Syvret does. Should the management still choose Syvret as the first callup, I'm pretty sure that would only be because he's severely outplayed the others, since as you say there's not much more else to hope for in Syvret than what he already is. I don't think this scenario will happen though, Syvret is a signing for the AHL.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote