View Single Post
Old
07-04-2012, 09:17 AM
nsvoyageurs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Post-lockout Sather won't lose a trade. Not at this stage of his career. He's been doing this for too long. He owns a diamond mine of gems with only a few exceptions, especially when you consider the garbage he inherited.

Lisin for Korpikoski? A loss, but Korpedo, who is a steady 3rd liner on a good team, is 26, drafted 8 years ago and has yet to crack 20 goals. Not a crippling trade to say the least.

Sather is a guy who was essentially fleeced trading Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Graves, Damphousse, Beukeboom, Lowe etc. He had no leverage back then because nobody wanted to play for Edmonton anymore. I would say he learned his lesson.

Sather is going to wear down Howson until he's a little nub before he trades any of his assets.
The Gretzky trade was more of a Peter Pocklington trade/sale; the assets acquired in that trade helped Edmonton won the Stanley Cup in 1990; Gelinas played a big role, Jimmy Carson (acquired from LA in Gretzky deal) to Detroit trade got them Petr Klima won scored the triple OT winner in game 1, Adam Graves, and Joe Murphy who all played a key role in the Oilers winning that year.

Most if not all of the above trades were money related, they couldn't afford to keep them all (how many Cups would they have won if they were able to keep that team together? Gretzky, Kurri, Coffey, Fuhr, Messier, Anderson, Lowe, etc.) and Pocklington was having money issues due to loans due to be paid to the Alberta government for his other businesses, which were going bankrupt.

I've haven't always been a Glen Sather fan, especially in his first few years as Rangers GM with trying to buy a Stanley Cup; in Edmonton in his later years there, he was hamstrung financially in keeping his teams together. It took him until the lockout to figure out that spending on big free agents doesn't always work. The Drury and Gomez signings were received positively at the time, but they didn't work out. Sather somehow got Bob Gainey to take Gomez off his hands when everyone thought his contract was untradeable, and got McDonagh who has blossomed here. Up until that point, Montreal didn't think he ever would. There has been more good than bad with Sather in recent years; (now watch him give up the farm for Nash, after I praise him! I am NOT giving up a 2013 no. 1 draft pick for him. Maybe a 2014 no. 1, depending on how good that draft is).

The Nash situation, hopefully will be settled one way or another soon after Parise/Suter sign, so we can all move on. I don't blame them for taking their time, as frustrating as it might be for fans. Would rather have one of the Anaheim 3, but that may not be as doable, especially if the price is exhorbinant. At this point, I'd rather sign Semin, trade for 1 of the Anaheim 3, just to stick it to Howson.