View Single Post
Old
07-04-2012, 02:06 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Still should NEVER have been a surprise though.

You have a player heading into the last year of his deal before becoming a UFA. You negotiate with him and you're still not sure if he's going to sign? TRADE HIM and get something for him.

If that player, likes playing in that city, he will re-up. Just like Sakic did, just like Lidstrom did, just like all those kinds of players always do.

I don't feel sorry for Poile or Lou-Lam for 1 second because they both SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER.

I remember posting a message about Parise when they had just beaten the Rangers and heading to the SCF, his body language was screaming "oh crap, how do I take a team to the SCF and then just leave..." lol

Besides, if Suter HAD done that, the Preds would have matched that offer. Both those guys wanted to play in Minnesota and they've known it all along. They dragged it out to make it appear like it was SUCH A TOUGH DECISION but it really wasn't.
Easier said than done.

Both teams were heading to the postseason, with the Devils eventually making the cup finals.

As a GM, it's a tough call. You either keep the player through the trade deadline, go into the playoffs and hope they re-up with you. Or, you sacrifice your potential postseason success just to make sure you get something for them.

Trading their rights at the end of the year is also an option, but even that usually results in very very very little return.