View Single Post
Old
07-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Your offer sheet proposal limits Weber's selections to teams with their own 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick next year + cap room to make such a deal + a team Weber would be willing to sign an offer sheet for. An unlikely scenario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Not trolling, I'm a Preds fan and have been active on your board for years.

So don't get upset, but one thing I'd point out is that Vancouver has its draft picks through the next several years, has cap space now with more to come when Luongo is moved, and can add more cap space when Ballard is moved.

So in short I agree with the rest, sign or move him quickly, if not, what's to stop the Canucks offering an $8-9 million one-year deal? If Preds match, they can't trade him next year iirc and will lose him for nothing next year if Weber is set on coming home. If the Preds don't match, four draft picks from a team that should still be at the higher end of the league hence lower-end draft picks won't be a good return on the guy.

Part of the problem is, I'm wondering if other GM's looking at the Preds are thinking the same thing if they trade for his rights.
A few more things that I'll point out....

A) As already mentioned, Vancouver has all of it's picks for the next several years. Sending out an offer sheet is not a problem.
B) Webers wife is from Vancouver (You already know Weber is from British Columbia).
C) Weber was reportedly quoted as saying how nice it would be to play in Vancouver at a Vancouver charity golf tournament.

It's not inconceivable that he's already decided to play in Vancouver. And since he is now officially an RFA, any GM in the league is free to contact Weber and/or his agent and it's likely that Gillis has already done so.

It's very likely that all of the GM's around the league already know what his intentions are. They'd know better than you or I would since they can actually go contact him and if they know his intentions are to go to a certain city... they aren't going to offer a decent package to Nashville for him.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote