View Single Post
Old
07-04-2012, 07:12 PM
clayman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
I totally agree! I fit in all three of your categories, although they are all being rectified by playing more hockey.

I started in early March, played in my class/D league through the end of May. I did my first tournament Memorial Day weekend. I've been playing with a women's drop-in league and another coed league.

My first time on the ice with a stick and puck, I felt so out of place. I had skated before - but only going counterclockwise, never backwards or with a stick. I had absolutely NO puck control whatsoever. Even if you sent me the most perfect pass ever, the chances of me getting it were 0%.

I'm still not great, but when I played in the tournament I told myself that while I may not do great things for my team, I would be happy to not do horrible things either! I ended up getting a shot on the net, an assist, and I was able to get the puck out of our zone and into theirs a few times, so I felt like I accomplished something.

I played the other night and was by far the slowest, newest person to the sport. Even so, I did helpful things - I caught a pass, I almost got a goal (if it had bounced 1" to the right, I would have had it), and I blocked a pass from the other team. I wasn't great or even mediocre compared to the others - but I had fun, did my best, and contributed even a little bit.

I'll never make the NHL - or any sort of high-level competitive team, not at my age. But that doesn't mean I can't have fun. There are so many people out there who just play because it's more exciting than the gym, and it's just something to do that they enjoy. It would have been so easy to think 'it's too late for me, I'll never get good at it, why even try?' But I'm so glad that I started playing, because it has been one of the most fun things I've done in my life.

The funny thing is that when I was wanting to start playing, I told my husband on the way in to work (we carpool) that I wanted to take a class for adult beginners. He had a FIT. No way, no how. He told me it was a stupid idea, that I just wasn't a hockey player, etc. But when I picked him up at the end of the day, he told me that if I really wanted to do it, I should go for it. He has his hobby (bicycling) and I had given up mine (speedskating) when I got pregnant back in 2004. So with his blessing, I signed up for the class, got my gear, and now I'm having a blast.
Very cool! Good for you!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote