View Single Post
Old
07-04-2012, 06:29 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Cheap replacements for Girardi and Staal? Are you out of your mind? Staal is already on an absolute steal of a contract, but that won't last long. Mac and DZ are good, but you're talking about replacing 2 top pairing, elite defensive defensemen.

Our players are mediocre? 1 point off of the presidents trophy and the ECF is mediocre apparently.

Rick Nash gets elite money that he doesn't earn. Sure, we could get him, but how much longer is he good for, how many players are we going to not be able to sign because of him, and what are we going to do when we do?

Nash is the type of player a the Rangers from a decade ago would get. I'm really hoping we learned that lesson.
You misread the tone of my post, which is my fault. It was confusing.

First off, I mean replacements for Staal/Girardi years down the road. When losing the core is really an issue we'll have some talent coming in like Miller, Erixon, McIlrath, etc.

I think our team is really good, but no one should be crushing us at free agency. We need elite help for a reason (we lack it), hence the notion that we'll lose our core in 2/3 years as being a bit extreme.

Basically, it won't be both ways.

Nash from a decade ago would be an appropriate example if we traded Stepan, Kreider, MDZ and our first. Nash for Dubi AA and Hagelin is more consistent with our recent history, and an absolute steal. The cap hit is big, but gets offset with Gaborik's departure. It gets offset the first half of next season with LTIR or a lockout. We'll fit MDZ and Stralman. We can add a big gun at the trade deadline at a portion of the cap hit.

That's 2 seasons of taking serious cup runs. Then cap relief from Gaborik.

I don't know what the trade will be for Nash, and I'm not "all in". It hinges on it being a steal. But I can't stand the doomsday scenarios being played out.