View Single Post
Old
07-04-2012, 08:33 PM
ltsthinaz

vCash: 500
Happy off-season, everyone, from here in Arizona. As to the team, I don't want to blow up what we're putting together. Add a few pieces, as we need a few scorers and more depth, but don't break up the core (and I want to keep Dubinsky - re-watch Games 5 and 6 of the Devil series, we dominated territorially when he came back, weren't pinned so much in our end).

That said, last year's first place was a result of going full-out early in the season (Nov-Feb), while the whole season with playoffs is a marathon, and they were only a little better than .500 from March on. So I think we'll be better this year teamwise, and maybe even do better in the playoffs, but likely won't finish first. But I think the competition will be less, especially in the playoffs:
Devils - no Parise, no replacement for Brodeur, who'll be 41 come April
Pitt - Fleury exposed as mediocre, Vokoun is past his prime, no Staal
Phil - Marty Biron would be an upgrade on their goaltending
Bos -miss Thomas, though Rask is good, defense getting old
Ottawa - getting better but may take a step back
Isles - need new arena in new city
Craps - not impressed

In sum, Rangers are doing a good job of building from within and keeping their young players. I think Kreider is going to be a monster, would like to add a Ryan but not by breaking giving up McD, Kreider, or the like (I could part with Stepan or Anisimov). Looking forward to October.

ltsthinaz is online now   Reply With Quote