View Single Post
Old
07-04-2012, 08:20 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

vCash: 500
Gustafsson and Bourdon in the minors learning from Terry Murray is a MUST in my opinion. They're already NHL quality blueliners to most Flyers fans but they could possibly become like Alec Martinez at worst with a little Terry Murray seasoning, which would be awesome moving forward.

I would honestly not be bothered if we did something like this:

Bouwmeester - Timonen ($14mil pairing LOL)
Grossmann - Coburn ($8mil pairing)
Meszaros - Schenn ($7.6mil pairing)
Gervais ($1mil)
Lilja ($0.7mil)

$32mil on defense (46% of the cap) sounds about right for this franchise. Not to mention Pronger's LTIR. We're spending $7mil on goalies, so we'd still have $30mil for forwards. As of now we have $25.5mil tied up to 11 forwards including Rinaldo and Shelley.

... Obviously this is not ideal cap-wise. I would love Meszaros anchoring the 3rd pairing again with Luke Schenn. However, if we acquire someone like Bouwmeester it would probably mean the end of Andrej Meszaros in Philly. Matt Carle isn't coming back to Philly, too much money being offered elsewhere (Tampa Bay is what I'd bet on).

SO, I see it as we either stand pat like this:

Grossmann - Coburn
Timonen - Schenn
Meszaros - Gervais/xxx
Lilja

OR, keeping Gustafsson and Bourdon in the minors, would be to either acquire a top defensemen and move Meszaros (not a fan of doing):

TRADE - Timonen
Grossmann - Coburn
xxx - Schenn ?
Gervais
Lilja

I'm not a fan of this. If we're going to be acquiring a defensemen I don't want to see Meszaros moved. Unless we get someone like Enstrom with a cheap cap-hit I think our defense for this year is set. Next offseason is going to be our defense building offseason, much like the Red Wings over the past two years. Lots of solid names available, and we'll be heavily in the running with Timonen gone (or just dropping his cap-hit). I'd bet Timonen stays for a year or two after at a decent discount ($3mil per?) which would be fantastic especially if he doesn't fall of that much in terms of play. He's still a huge asset on the powerplay and mentoring our young guys.

/TLDR; Stay put or acquire someone decent this year without moving anyone else on our blueline. Next year, go get someone solid.

phillyflyerfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote