View Single Post
Old
04-16-2006, 03:59 PM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
The two ref system, I think, has made things worse.

Last night, Guelph vs. Plymouth, we get Ryan Carroll calling a good game, calling penalties and letting minor stuff go both ways, the way a playoff game should be called. At the other end, Pat Smola (who else) is letting everything go but then he calls the weakest hook on the face of the earth. It's brutal to see refs facing off against each other.

The worst thing I've seen this year was again, Plymouth vs. Guelph game four, in overtime. Smola is reffing AGAIN and he falls for a James Neal dive (Whaler player) and stops the play as Guelph was racing in on a two on one. 10 seconds into the Whaler PP, Holdsworth, the other ref, basically makes up a call when a Guelph player fell near a Plymouth player, but wasn't even touched. It was the most blatant example of a make-up call. The opposite ref making the call really spoke volumes about how he didn't want officiating to decide the game so he evened it up. Of course, Plymouth ended up winning the game on that same 4 on 4, but I think that's beside the point.

Consistency is all we ask for, but consistency is what we'll never get.
Through most of the year I have always thought the best games called were one ref games with two exceptions: 1. You were stuck with a bad ref. 2. Games where teams insist on doing a ton of stuff behind the play, which inevitably gets out of hand.

On the other hand I just love it where a ref is looking right at an infraction and for whatever reason decides to call nothing until the other guy retaliates, and only sends one guy off. Sending two off would be like admitting he should have made a call in the first place. No matter how bad the call is I can accept both guys being given the gate.

The other peeve is a guy who calls everything in the book right up to 5 minutes to go and then anything goes. I swear homicide is required to make some guys blow a whistle.