View Single Post
Old
07-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
This has been mentioned a bunch of times, but I have concerns about giving up Coburn + + + in a bigger package for Weber. Obviously, it gets us our #1D and provides a real shot from the point on the PP, but it absolutely kills our depth on the wing. (Simmonds / Read as top-line RW? Eh.)

Frankly, I think B. Schenn + L. Schenn + is the way to go. I also think it is the best package for Nashville, other than something insane like Couturier + Coburn + +.

As I mentioned yesterday, a few (perhaps distraught) Predators fans expressed interested in the Schenns, noting that having both of them might make it likely they would be able to keep their star players--assuming they continue to progress.

Obviously, we need to do some work on that bottom-9. Any one of Doan, Mueller, etc. would slot in better at 2LW, bumping Read back down and bringing things into order. In true, we probably would need to sign two forwards, unless they are comfortable with Harry Z on the 4th line.

Between the 3.2 million and Pronger's LTIR money, though, there's some space in there to address those needs.
I think the big difference here is what fans of the teams are willing to give up and what GM's are willing. Brayden Schenn can still be a number 1 center in this league, let's remember this is his second full season in the NHL. Luke Schenn is still very very young for a defender who is developing. Change of scenery and a new coach could do the kid wonders. Of course saying all this I always look at the positives in the situations, those players could regress or simply not develop any more. To package the brothers and another 1st rounder is a ton to give. I know it's Weber, but if the price is extremely high like that, you might have to pass. Just like what is going on with Ryan right now.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing Schenn with Giroux, he could be a great scoring winger for him I think. They did play some together during the playoffs if I remember correctly.

Trade Voracek+Coburn and try as hard as you can to sign Doan.

I just think whenever one of these players like Weber or Ryan are traded, the team giving them up will lose no matter what. The return is never as good as it seems.(there are exceptions of course)

I would really just hate to see the brothers leave before we even get the chance to see them play and develop together.

Last edited by Prongo: 07-05-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote