Old
07-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn is one player I have never been sold on. If we do indeed sign Andrei Kostitsyn, I'll be taking the wait and see approach to that one. Risk/reward, but he'll certainly have to prove he can contribute because to this point he has yet to do it consistently to what his potential is or was, anyway.

I'm just not a big Andrei Kostitsyn fan, honestly.

Edit: On second thought, even though I'm not an overly big Kostitsyn fan, I actually think I would prefer him over Wellwood. He'd bring the talent level we need as I think he could score 20-25, add some decent size and give us a pretty good scoring weapon in our top 6-9. I also think his scoring potential tops what Wellwood could provide. Kostitsyn may be a better and more true top 6 forward than Wellwood. At the end of the day, I like Wellwood and think he fit in well for us, but I also think we could use Kostitsyn's potential goal scoring over Wellwood's never-shoot playmaking approach. Kostitsyn may fit in well here with guys like Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Burmistrov, Miettinen, etc.

In order, i'd prefer Semin, Kostitsyn, Wellwood.
Yeah, I prefer Kostitsyn over Wellwood. Kostitsyn is better defensively, better puck control, similiar hands. Only downside is that he cannot play in the middle, but I think with Jokinen, Little, Slater, Antropov, Burmistrov and likely Cormier all on the roster there will be lots of center depth on the roster.

Kostitsyn is a nice option since we can pencil him in on the 2nd line to start the year...but if Scheifele, Telegin, Mahacek, Burmistrov prove that they are ready he is easy to slot down in the lineup to the 3rd line with some PP time to allow for those youngsters to step up, he is much more valuable in a bottom 6 role than a Wellwood.

A all former USSR republic line would be cool Ponikarovsky (Ukraine) - Antropov (Kazakhstan) - Kostitsyn (Belarus)