View Single Post
Old
07-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Damaged Goods

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
How about the all reclamation project roster:

Kristian Huselius ($2.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Scott Hartnell ($4.200m)
Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.250m)
Wojtek Wolski ($2.000m) / Matt Read ($0.900m) / Peter Mueller ($2.000m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
You really went bananas with the forward depth concept here. There are certain things about it that look impressive and interesting at first glance, but ultimately I think this roster is inefficient because the talent distribution is too flat and and the depth chart is cluttered with too many redundant/interchangeable players.

I like the daringness of the idea (four capable scoring lines, almost like a World Championship tournament team), but I have a lot of doubts about the execution.

Wolski-Read-Mueller would be the most overqualified 4th line in the league. They are great players for being on a 4th line, but they aren't a great scoring line and they aren't a great checking line. Matt Read's 900K cap hit is a fantastic asset, and I think it's extremely underutilized here. Ditto for Eric Wellwood (arguably our 2nd best defensive forward) carrying an ELC and not getting a regular role. In order for him to get on the ice, you have to put a $2M+ cap hit in the press box. It also appears that Voracek is being used on two-way/shut down line, but I think they can get the most out of him this year by promotion up the depth chart.

On the other hand, I see Huselius really watering down the top line. I appreciate the desire to spread talent throughout the roster in the hopes that Huselius can piggy-back Giroux and Hartnell to a productive season, but instead I would prefer to maximize Giroux's playmaking gifts by surrounding him with top flight talent that won't waste his creativity can put a scare into the opposition.

If you take Giroux out of the picture, it's almost like you have 3 2nd lines (of varying quality) and a beefed up 3rd line. That's enough to beat a lot of teams in the regular season, but I think it has extreme limitations against elite playoff competition, where the opponents will have top end players eating up a lot of ice time and limiting the exposure of the weak opposition your depth is used to taking advantage of.

All the filler also limits your ability to put 5 premium skaters on the ice in crucial situations.

My final bone to pick is that I don't think that this litter of free agent additions is good enough to justify spending up to the cap by putting Chris Pronger on LTIR (therefore destroying the Flyers ability to bank cap space and add significant players at the deadline).

I would prefer the following plan: sign a viable first line free agent to play with Giroux (Semin or Doan) and don't go chasing any other major moves right now. That will allow you to keep Chris Pronger as a regular scratch and possibly be in position to add $8-12 M in salary add the deadline if so needed.

You have an elite first line and the depth is still enviable. It's likely that the defense still needs a fix, and hopefully that can be done by the deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Semin has been discussed at length. I was on board, then off. Now I'm somewhere in between. I think Semin-Giroux-Jagr would have been fantastic on a few levels, but I have concerns about brining him here, where, as far as I can tell, the only player that speaks Russian is Bryz (maybe Jake?).
I was just thinking about this earlier, and I believe that's true. It's a good point and possibly a very real draw-back (Semin still struggles to speak much English). But you never know. He and Bryz could be a modern odd couple. I can see the feel-good movie in my head now: goofball goalie teaches surly Soviet sniper how to fall in love with the game again and see the world through a different set of eyes, as adversity makes way for dizzying success on and off ice.

Last edited by Damaged Goods: 07-05-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote