Thread: Speculation: Will the Blues make any deals?
View Single Post
Old
07-05-2012, 11:51 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 500
I've suggested Schwartz for Gormley in the past. I would prefer trading for Yandle. But there could be plenty of reasons why that wouldn't happen. Phoenix has a top four of OEL, Yandle, Michalek and Klesla. They also have Morris. Then there are Summers, Stone and Schlemko all young players who can at least play and might have upside. On top of that, even without Gormley they have Goncharov who they're excited about, Rundblad and 2011 first rounder Connor Murphy who'll turn pro after one final year in the OHL. They could part with Gormley and be fine on D. However, with Whitney leaving and maybe Doan leaving and their forward cupboard bare of legitimate top end talent, a prospect like Schwartz is exactly the kind of Rundblad-for-Tarasenko readjustment of organizational depth the Blues did a couple summers ago. The Blues having drafted Schmaltz means little when he's probably 3 years from turning pro. That just gives them flexibility down the road.

I would do the Schwartz for Gormley idea as a backup if the Coyotes don't want to move Yandle. Gormley would be starting in the NHL from the getgo this year if the Coyotes blueline weren't already so crowded. It's similar to how a few years ago Schwartz would be starting for the Blues but now the team is much deeper and he'd be starting out in Peoria out of logjam concerns rather than readiness concerns.

The result would be the Blues could give both Cole and Gormley a chance to win a top-four spot. Would it be better if he were more established? Maybe. But is it a better idea than bringing back Colaiacovo out of desperation? Hell yes. They'd be hurt by not having Schwartz to replace McDonald but Steen, Perron and Sobotka are your top three LWs even after McDonald leaves. And they'll have time to continue drafting forward talent.

Yandle would cost more than Schwartz.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote