View Single Post
Old
07-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
What are you talking about??? Nobody forced EDM to trade for Smyth. Have you heard the expression, "just say no"? But I guess that kind of warped thinking would justify why Tambellini traded two different injured players in that deal.

Tambellini is a real piece of work, and that's before the whole Schultz incident. I would not at all be surprised to find out he did tamper. His reputation for shady, slimy deals precedes him.
actually, Smyth asked Lombardi for a trade and the Oilers did not immediately jump at it. He was a 6 million dollar a year guy who might score 20 goals. Suddenly, the demand becomes public and Oiler fans go crazy about bringing Smyth back. Tambellini was forced to complete the transaction or the public would have hung him. (imagine Selane asking for a trade back to the DUcks if he leaves for a year)That is why Oiler mngt was pissed and offered Lomabrdi peanuts, they didn't like being forced into trading for a 20 goal 6 mill guy. Everybody thinks we fleeced the KIngs but the reality is that Smyth had one of the worst contracts in the NHL last year.

As for the injured players, Lombardi has since publically apologized and accepted 100% of the responsibility for the fiasco. Our doctors gave a clear indication of the health of both guys and the NHL doctors agreed with them. This is not the first time Lombardi has lost his head and it won't be the last.

Ironically, the Kings win the cup with Fraser and the immediately resign him.

I would love to see a quote from Shultz indicating he knew 2 months ago. From everything I read and heard, he had a very open mind until the very end. It was not an easy decision for him. I have not read one quote from the finalist GM's who thought they did not have a chance when they made their presentations.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote