View Single Post
Old
07-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
i just suggested this idea on Blues Talk, but i'm interested in getting the perspective of the people here as well.

What about the Devils as a trading partner?

Once they re-sign Fayne, they will have 8 defensemen on their roster. They will definitely be looking for some scoring help with Parise gone. Lou says Larsson will be in the top-6 next season, which means someone else from the top-6 will have to move to make room.

Mark Fayne
Andy Greene
Peter Harrold
Adam Larsson
Bryce Salvador
Henrik Tallinder
Anton Volchenkov
Marek Zidlicky

Right off the bat we can eliminate Peter Harrold (let's face it, he's not the one holding Larsson back), Adam Larsson, and Bryce Salvador (they wouldn't have signed him just to trade him). From the Blues perspective, we can also eliminate Mark Fayne and Marek Zidlicky, as they are both righties.

That leaves:

Andy Greene
age 29, 5'11'', 194, $3,000,000
56 GP, 16 pts, 16 PIMs, +3

Henrik Tallinder
age 33, 6'3'', 209, $3,375,000
39 GP, 6 pts, 16 PIMs, -11

Anton Volchenkov
age 30, 6'2'', 225, $4,250,000
72 GP, 11 pts, 34 PIMs, +3

So if we start the offer with Chris Stewart, who is due $3,000,000, we are already pretty close on each of the three salary-wise.

Obviously only Lou knows who he would be willing to deal from the group, and it might not even be one of these three, but if it is, this is definitely a route I'd explore.

So my question is, REALISTICALLY, which player would you be interested in adding and what, in addition to Stewart, would make for a fair offer?
Of the NJ d-men, I'm most interested in Tallinder. The Devils saw that they could win without him, and once they re-signed Harrold I figured Tallinder would be the odd man out again. I think we could get him without parting with Stewart.

If Stewart is who NJ wants, then I think a Stewie-for-Volchenkov straight up deal would work. But Anton would have to waive his NTC to come to STL. It would also give us a Russian teammate for Tank (since I figure Grachev will spend most of next season in Peoria).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
agreed on Volchenkov... however, Lou L still runs the Devils and there is a History of animosity between the Devils and the Blues with the Shanahan Stevens fiasco back in the day.
This is old news (20 years ago now). In fact, it was a big story when Keenan made two trades with Lou in the 90's (Peluso/Persson for Sutton; Zezel for McAlpine), and more or less made amends between the two teams. The Janssen-Salvador trade also showed the animosity is gone as well.