Thread: Confirmed with Link: Al Montoya signs with Jets (1 year, $601k)
View Single Post
Old
07-05-2012, 12:33 PM
hockey-brent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I've probably watched every one of Montoya's games over the last two years. There is a reason why he's never broken into the NHL and there is a reason why we got him for $600,000. He's a borderline NHL goalie and he's brutally inconsistent. Game to game, period to period and shot to shot. He gets lost a lot out there, not even knowing where the puck is or who has it, and not battling hard enough to try and find it. He's not a very athletic goalie and he's not going to magically turn into one.

And I strongly disagree with your assertion that salary means nothing. It's a fact that multiple teams, professional hockey ops people, competed to acquire Mason's services. There is no evidence whatsoever that any other team competed with the Jets to sign Montoya.

If you think Mason was bad, I dont think you'll be too happy if Montoya makes the Jets. We know for a fact Chevaldayoff and Poile think Mason is a better backup than Montoya.

I don't mean to be ragging on the guy here, it's best for all of us if he turns into a reliable NHL'er. He's just not a guy I am unfamiliar with and I don't see him being a long term full time NHL player.

I get what the Jets did here and I don't mind the move. Low risk, stop gap and the salary is so low he can go to the Ice Caps if something better presents itself.
Don't these two points contradict one another?

Mason stunk most times when he got in there. Change is welcome, especially when younger and cheaper. We'll see what sort of magic Wade can provide to Al's game.

hockey-brent is offline   Reply With Quote