Old
07-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
And what you're also forgetting was at the time Gandler made the comments, Semin was getting 13 to 15 minutes of ice time per night. I don't have a problem with what Gandler said about playing Semin in an offensive role because that's where his strengths lie.

The way Semin was used in Washington by Dale Hunter would be like Claude Giroux being used as a third line shut down center. It would be a complete waste of what Claude brings to the table. Semin can do more than what he was given, yet Hunter wouldn't allow it.

And as for Semin being a poor defensive player, he was only one of three forwards that was a + in Washington. I know people don't like using +/- as a stat, but being only one of three forwards to be a + player indicates that his defensive game is much better than what people are making it out to be.

You're quite right about his agent though. Mark Gandler makes Bonnie Lindros seem very tame in comparison.
Semin had a really terrible year last year, including before Hunter's arrival. The Caps did better as a team when OV and Semin played less, and there's a reason for that. What they had under Bruce was Semin playing on the top line, but playing 3rd-line quality.