Thread: Speculation: Shea Weber
View Single Post
Old
07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The team is more than just Shea Weber away from being a true Stanley Cup contender. For instance, there's "hope" that Meszaros returns to form and becomes the solid defenseman he showed he could be his first season here. There's "hope" that Coburn finally takes that final step in consistency and becomes a dominant defenseman night in and night out that he showed he can be during the final 20 games and the playoffs. There's "hope" that Grossmann can be that crease clearing presence that this team has sorely lacked. There's "hope" that Timonen will return to form and with less minutes, be in better shape come playoff time. There's "hope" that after rescuing Schenn from Toronto that he can be that elite shut down defenseman that's required to win championship. There's "hope" that Schenn and Couturier build off their solid first years and really step it up to the next level in their 2nd year. There's "hope" that Voracek finally brings his game to the next level and becomes a dominant offensive force capable of averaging close to a point per game while playing with Giroux and Hartnell. There's "hope" that Simmonds shows his 28 goals weren't a fluke and he's ready to add another 5 to 10 goals to his career high total. There's "hope" that after being in the league for 10 seasons that Hartnell finally realizes what he needs to do night in and night out to be successful.

That's expecting a lot and right now, I just don't see everything falling into place, especially when you consider how young this club is. Right now, I think the best thing this franchise can do is let the young players grow into their roles and take their lumps accordingly. Adding a guy like Weber now is the wrong time to do so. The club isn't ready to challenge for the Stanley Cup yet. People can rip on me all they want, but it's clear, this is not yet a Cup contending team. They are close, but they need to be patient with some guys so that they can make it to the next level. Once those guys have really rounded out their games and they are ready to challenge, then you add a guy like Weber.
I don't disagree with much of this--except your implicit premise that a guy like Weber will be available at the right time, and that the team will have the assets to go get him without rendering moot the developmental process you're talking about.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote