View Single Post
Old
07-05-2012, 03:41 PM
hoosierpred

vCash: 500
There's nothing wrong with management getting some stones....

I think it's reasonable to say something like this....

Management: "Sutes, we got a great shot this year, and you are a great big part of it. We'd like to sign you to a nice big fat long term contract"

Sutes: "Well, i'd like to wait and see what my options are till the end of the year"

Management: "If you want to keep your options open depending on the team situation, we'd accept a nice shorter term contract and we will fully support any change that you want to make at the end of the year. If you want to see what you are worth on the open market we'll let you explore that and we will quietly work hard for any trade you want, but we do need to have some sort of contract by such and such a date under generous terms to you. If not, I'm getting a lot of calls from (insert horrible bottom dweller or playoff longshot) and we will be forced to move you now rather than risk losing you at the end of the year for nothing."

Management is not without some tools to pressure.

At bottom line there is only one question that needs to be asked......

Is the chance of winning a Cup this year with Player X greater than the chance of winning the cup in the following years with the players and picks that were traded for. To me that depends a lot on the nature of the holes that you are trying to fill. If you have no gaping holes, the chance that filling holes with players more talented enough to make a difference is small and maybe you could gamble on keeping someone like Suter. But we have glaring holes for offensive centers and snipers. Legwand and Fisher are 3rd line centers and this point in their careers and nobody will convince me otherwise. Erat, and to a lesser extent Hornquist, are probably the only proven legitimate top 6 forwards we have with some hope for some other guys. We have holes enough to fill.

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote